Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Spirited Run

What or whose thoughts   prompted me to write this blog – My Dad!!
26th January, every year, in our housing complex is celebrated as the Annual Sports Day which injects the spirit of competitiveness amongst the members (all age groups) of all the 5 towers. Every tower needs to nominate their teams for various sports – marathon, running race for couples, tri-cycle race for kids, badminton, table tennis, chess, basketball and the grand finale was always the Tug-of-War.
The best sportsman, sportswoman of the society is then declared based on the number of medals won individually or as a member of a team.
Marathon for Senior citizens – This is an event that is not about the participants being in the best of physical shape but its all about their spirit and positive attitude.
My Dad has always been a very talented and keen sportsman in his younger days showing his proficiency in various disciplines (Basketball, Volleyball, Javelin, Football and Ball badminton) and representing his college at District and State levels.
Every year, he would witness the society’s sports day and always showed extra attention towards the Senior Citizens marathon but he never participated. It was because of our apprehensions (why at this age we thought, he is 71 years old) that he let go of these opportunities to participate. This year, I strongly felt, that he should participate and asked for his and our mother’s opinion .My Dad was all ready for it and my mom ,though apprehensive ,stood by my Dad’s decision.
The Training that we didn’t notice – My dad trained for this event without our knowledge. He would quietly slip out in the mornings wearing his whites and start jogging. We were always of the opinion that participation was the main objective and not winning but he would not agree. Once a sportsman, always a sportsman!!
Our counseling sessions - As the D-day neared, our counseling to Dad would keep increasing – “Dad – Don’t run, only walk”; my mom would say ”please take care of the dividers otherwise you may slip”, my wife would say “please don’t exert yourself, you can win even if you walk”, my sister from Hyderabad gives her phone counsel – “Dad, don’t over do it, just take it cool, all the best”
D-Day - Minus two hours from the mission time – My Dad has a light breakfast and starts to prepare mentally for the race. He disappears (of course, we didn’t know) for a light jog to warm himself up.
The moment finally came for which we all were eagerly waiting for. We gave our “Best of Lucks” to my Dad and other senior citizen participants. He was all focused at the START line. The mission was to run 200 metres around our society perimeter and cross the line first to be declared the winner.
At the signal going green, he started his run and timed the acceleration to perfection and won the race convincingly.
The final moments of the race was captured on my camera but what was captured in my heart was a feeling of exhilaration and a sense of relief. Relief because deep down in my heart, I didn’t want to see my Dad come second to anyone and he didn’t!!The Gold medal was hanging around his neck.
We felt great that the spirit of “Anything can be achieved” was the winner that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment